Thursday, December 18, 2014

Easy peasy broccoli and cheese soup

I love broccoli and cheese soup.  And I mean llloovvveeee broccoli and cheese soup!  I love broccoli, I love cheese, and I love soup!  What's not to love??  I love to curl up on the couch with a big bowl, grab some oyster crackers and dig in!
The problem that I have, is that I'm the only one in my house that likes it.  The easy solution I have, is that since my husband travels often, I get to eat this a few times every winter!  The best part, is that this takes less than an hour to put together, and I get to eat off of it for days!
This one is going to go by pretty quick, so let's get started!

Here's the grocery list for this one:
6 small cloves, roasted garlic (optional)
1/4 C melted butter
1/4 C all purpose flour
2 C half and half
2 C chicken stock
14 oz frozen broccoli
2 carrot sticks, cut into sticks
1/4 tsp grated Nutmeg
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
Salt and Pepper to taste

To start off with, put your roasted garlic in a large pan, with your 1/4 C of butter, and let that melt down.  If you would like a refresher on how to roast your garlic, check out my post on roasted garlic chicken alfredo for a walk through.
Once your butter has melted around your lovely roasted garlic, add in your flour and mix together to make a roux.  Cook your flour and butter together, for about 5-10 minutes, until the color develops to look like peanut butter.







Your garlic will dissolve into the roux, which you will want to stir constantly, so that it doesn't burn.  Once it has reached peanut butter color, add in your half and half, whisk to combine, then add in your chicken stock.

The chicken stock will look a little weird when you first put it in, but it will mix in just fine.




Add in your carrots, and broccoli, and simmer for about 20 minutes, to let the veggies cook all of the way through.  If you want to thin this out a little bit, feel free to add some more chicken stock, but I like mine pretty thick.

A quick before and after simmering, make sure that you stir it while it cooks. 




After the veggies are cooked, puree the soup down as smooth, or chunky as you like it to be, then put it back into the pot, and slowly add in your cheese.  Like I mention in my cheesy chicken quesadilla post, you want to add the cheese (I used a cheddar and Jack mix) in a little at a time, while constantly stirring.  Once all of the cheese has been added, add in your Nutmeg.

Ladle your soup up into bowls, and you can garnish with either more cheese, slivered carrots, or some oyster crackers and dig in!  







No comments:

Post a Comment