Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Microwave Corn on the Cob

Hello, everyone!  Happy, happy Tuesday!  There are few things that scream "summer" more to me, than fresh corn on the cob.  I always scoop fresh corn up when I'm at the store; when it's $.10 an ear, how do I not?
I always had corn boiled or grilled when I was growing up, however a few years ago, I discovered cooking corn on the cob in the microwave.
Yep, the microwave.  This is an appliance that rarely gets used in our house; we use it for holding things, and making popcorn.  That's about it.
Except in the summer.  Oh, no, in the summer, our microwave gets used a lot.
Now then, if you eat corn as often as we do, you have a lot of cobs leftover.  I don't recommend giving them to your dogs, unless they are carefully supervised (they can cause an intestinal blockage, leading to an expensive surgery...) - that doesn't sound like fun?  Try this.  Keep your leftover corn cobs in a zip top bag in the freezer.
Once you have a dozen or so in the freezer, you can make a really lovely stock to use in soups (or a risotto, or anything else you use stocks for!) like in this one, my shrimp and corn chowder.  The stock is rich in corn flavor and a really nice flavor of summer during the long winter months!  Never too early to start stocking up!  

Here's your grocery list for this one:
2-6 ears of corn on the cob
1 Tbs water (optional)

Did you write that down?  I know it's a lengthy list.  This will go pretty quickly, because it seriously is that easy.  You'll never do corn any other way again (unless you do it on the grill.  That's amazing.)  To start off with, of course, shuck the corn husks, and remove the silks.  I hate doing this, and luckily, my husband usually does this for me!  Once your corn has been cleaned, lay the ears out into a dish that is microwave safe.  I usually find a 9"x13" fits 4-6 ears nicely.

You can add 1 Tbs of water if you want, but I've done it with no water, and it works out fine, too.  I usually add in about 1 Tbs of water, just to make sure everything gets good and steamy in the microwave.  Cover with plastic wrap, tightly, and microwave for 10 minutes.





After the microwave dings, to tell you that your corn is finished, just let it hang out in the microwave for another 5 minutes.  Carefully take the plastic wrap off (there will be steam!), and you will see perfectly cooked corn.  This corn is so perfectly cooked every time, I rarely even put butter on mine.  I just love the pure sweet taste of summer ripe corn on the cob!  And don't forget to save those cobs!


No comments:

Post a Comment