Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Biscuit Doughnuts

Hello, everyone!  Happy Tuesday!  There's not much that starts your day off better than a fresh, hot doughnut, am I right?  Yes, yes I am.
However, what are the odds of driving past a doughnut place that has freshly cooked doughnuts, at the exact right time?  Pretty slim, in my case.  Even so, the closest chain doughnut store is about thirty minutes from my house.
I have to be pretty desperate for a doughnut for that.
Unless I make my own at home.  That being said, as I mentioned in my overnight cinnamon rolls post, when it comes to getting breakfast ready in the mornings, I'm not going to be getting up at 3 AM to get stuff going.
That flat out isn't going to work for me.  I need stuff that either comes together within 30 minutes, or that I can get prepped a little bit the night before, or get it completely ready the night before.
This "recipe" takes about 20 minutes, start to finish.  I say "recipe" in quotes, because it's more technique, rather than a recipe.
Interested?  Let's get started!

Here's your grocery list for this one:
1 can of biscuits (any kind except the flaky type; I used Southern Style)
Cinnamon
Granulated sugar
Vegetable oil for frying

Yep.  Not a recipe at all.  Just crack open a can of biscuits.  Mine came with 8 biscuits, so once the canister has popped open, and given me a heart attack (I know it's coming, but it scares me every time!), I just laid the biscuits out on my counter top.  I didn't have a little biscuit or cookie cutter to cut the center hole out (I have used the top of a soda bottle before, but I didn't have one on hand), so this time I just used a little heart cookie cutter to make the little hole.  How cute did they turn out??

Don't forget about the doughnut "holes"!!  While I was cutting these, I had my frying oil heating up in a deep pan; I like my oil to be between 350-375, closer to the 350 range.  I like to use a candy thermometer while I'm frying, but these cook up so quickly, I wouldn't worry about it all that much. Just heat your oil over medium heat, for about 5 minutes, and you should be okay.




Put your cinnamon and sugar in a zip top bag, or in a bowl, so that as these doughnuts come out of the hot oil, they can go directly into the cinnamon/sugar combo.  I didn't put amounts on here, because some people like their doughnuts more cinnamon-y, and some like them more sugar-y.  Just taste as you go, you can always add more of the other if you're getting a stronger flavor of one than you'd like.  I generally use equal amounts of each in my mixtures.  
Once your oil is hot, carefully lay your dough-doughnuts into the hot oil, and watch the fun begin!  These puff up, and get golden brown on the bottoms; once they get golden brown, carefully flip them over, and let the other side get lovely and golden brown also (there's probably only 1.5" of oil in this pan; it doesn't take much...)

Once they're done, get them into the cinnamon/sugar mixture, give them a good toss around, and set them on a platter to be served up.  They take about 2 minutes, per side, total.  That's a pretty quick breakfast!




The cinnamon makes these look a lot darker, so if you use more sugar, they probably won't look as dark.  I'm kind of surprised that the heart shape held up!  I figured as they puffed up in the oil, they would lose the shape.  Like I said, don't forget about those doughnut holes!!  Put them in, too, and let them fry up.  Of course, they won't take long, at all!
These make amazing doughnuts, and everyone will be so impressed that you made fresh doughnuts for breakfast!  No one has to know how crazy easy it was to make.  You don't even need a cup of coffee (or five...) first!







No comments:

Post a Comment