Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pan seared ribeye

If you want to see me do a happy dance in the middle of the meat department of a grocery store, just let me see a steak (ideally a ribeye) that has been marked down to some ridiculous price.  I will break out my tap shoes every time!  Since my husband travels for work quite a bit, I'm often on my own for my supper, and I can usually find an amazing steak that has been marked down to about half off, so the tap shoes come out, and that steak comes home with me!
What goes better with an amazing steak, than potatoes, lemon garlic green beans, and a fresh fluffy yeast roll?  This meal is a little involved, time-wise, but it is oh, so worth it.  This is a wonderful meal to make for a special occasion, or, as an, "I survived another week!" (not that I would recommend making all of this once a week!  Goodness!) meal.  
I had been sick for the last few days, so I figured I'd make myself a special supper once I as feeling better!  I'm going to do a post on each part of this meal: the steak (todays post, obviously), the fancy potatoes, the lemon garlic green beans, and the fluffy yeast rolls.
My husband knows his way around the grill, but I hate to fire it up for just one steak, so I like to cook my steaks on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.  
Let's get started!  The faster you read this post, the faster you can make this amazing steak on your own! 
Here's your grocery list for this steak
Steak (in this case, it was a big ole Ribeye)
2 tsp Kosher salt
2 tsp Garlic powder
1 TBS Vegetable oil
4 oz of mushrooms, if you'd like
A sprig or two of fresh parsley, if you're feeling fancy

So the other morning, after I dropped my daughter off at school, I ran by the grocery store, just to pick up a few things we were running low on.  Like I always do while I'm at the store, I look over the meat section, to see if anything has been marked down (I spoke about this in my post about short ribs).  I can usually score an amazing deal, and this day was no different.  I found this beautiful Black Angus thick cut Ribeye marked down for $6.  From $19.  Yes, the tap shoes came out, and this jumped into my cart!





The first thing I did as soon as I got home, was generously seasoned both sides of this beauty with Kosher salt, and garlic powder; about 1 tsp on each side.  That sounds like a lot, but this is a thick cut of meat.  Once it has been seasoned, it goes into the fridge, uncovered, to sit all day.

About two hours before I'm ready to eat, I pull the steak out of the fridge, to come up to room temperature.  About fifteen minute before I'm ready to start cooking the steak, I preheat my oven to 450*.  I say fifteen minutes before, because that's roughly how long it takes my oven to preheat, not because there is some scientific reason behind it!  Once my oven is preheated, I pull out my cast iron skillet (I cannot recommend cast iron enough for this job; it maintains the heat evenly, is oven safe, and is more than happy to get screaming hot; that being said, if you don't have any cast iron, an oven safe stainless steel skillet will work.), and preheat it to the high side of medium-high heat.  Once it is smoking (literally), pour 1 TSB of vegetable oil in, and promptly lay your steak down on top of the oil.  
Let me take a moment here, and say, that unless you open all of your windows near your kitchen, your smoke alarm will go off.  The joys of doing some serious meat browning will always set off your smoke alarm.
Now then, once your steak is in the pan, do.  Not.  Touch.  It.  Just don't.  I don't care if it sounds like WWIII is going on in the pan.  Leave it alone, for 5 minutes.  Don't turn the heat down.  Don't cover it.  Don't flip it.  Don't touch it.
After 5 minutes, flip it over.  Please, for the love of all of our cooking heroes, don't use a fork to flip this.  I like to use silicone tongs.  If you use a fork to flip this, it will be like sticking a fork in a water balloon.  All of the juices will drain out, and you'll be stuck with a dry excuse of a steak.  Not tasty.  Look at this amazing crust that gets developed when you leave it to caramelize for the full 5 minutes.  Yum!
Once it is flipped, put the pan into the 450* oven, for another 7 minutes, give or take, depending on how thick your steak is.  I put mine in for 7 minutes, and it was a perfect medium rare.






After 7 minutes, carefully remove the pan from the oven, and move your steak to a plate, to rest.  You don't want to let the steak to rest in the pan, because the cast iron pan will maintain that heat, continuing the cooking process.  Because the pan keeps the heat, and the cooking as finished in the oven, the steak will be equally caramelized on both sides.
While my steak was resting, I was looking at all of the melted fat in the pan, lamenting all of the flavor still in there.  Until I remembered that I had some mushrooms in the fridge, that needed to be used up!   Since the pan was will crazy hot, I just tossed the mushrooms in, and they cooked up in a matter of a couple of minutes.  

I let this steak rest on the plate, for at least 10 minutes.  This lets the meat relax from being in the hot oven, and the juices redistribute, throughout the steak, so that when you cut it, they don't go pouring out onto your plate.  This steak was tender, and a perfect medium-rare.  I could not have been happier!  
Make sure to come back on Tuesday, when I'm going over these beautiful potatoes.  The edges were crispy, and the middles were fluffy!  So yummy, and they could not have been easier!







No comments:

Post a Comment