Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Easy Ice Cream Cake

Hello, everyone!  A couple of weeks ago it was my husbands birthday, and as I have mentioned several times before, he's not much of a sweets eater.  So, this poses a problem for me, since I love to celebrate birthdays with cakes or cookies, or whatever the person likes....last year, I made my husband some rice krispies treats.  Those, he'll eat.  
He will also happily put away some ice cream cake.  However, have you priced out an ice cream cake lately?  They're at least $40!  That's insane!  I figured I'd wing it, and come up with my own ice cream cake.  
I love how easy this was, and it was really good!  It was the perfect birthday cake for my husband, and we will probably be doing this every year for him.  Even better, my daughter was able to help me with this, and she loved every second.
Here's your grocery list for this one;
2 boxes of ice cream sandwiches
1 pint of ice cream, any flavor
1 large container of Cool Whip*
Chocolate sauce

Optional:
Sprinkles
Chocolate chips

Okay!  Let's get started!  Since this has all been premade, this is more technique driven than a recipe per-say, so this will go quickly!  Take out the ice cream, to let it soften, about 30 minutes before you start this.
On a large plate, unwrap half of your ice cream sandwiches, and line them up into a rectangle.  Put a layer of chocolate sauce down, as much as you want.  I ran out of sauce, so I didn't have that much, but it worked out just fine.
                     




Unwrap your other half of ice cream sandwiches, and lay them on top of the first half.  This isn't rocket science, so it's pretty straight forward, no trickery here folks!

For me to get my ice cream to an easily spreadable consistency, I put my ice cream into a mixing bowl, and whipped it for a couple of minutes, so it is almost like a whipped cream texture.  



Plop that ice cream down on top of the ice cream sandwiches, and spread it down evenly over the entire "cake".  Once it has been evenly covered, pop this lovey back into the freezer to set up for at least 3 hours.
                   


Now, my handwriting is just awful; I always joke that I was voted best handwriting in 3rd grade, and that's the best I got with it.  I love to decorate cakes though, and that includes writing on them sometimes.  
It's still not my strong point, but I wanted to do something for my husbands birthday, so I printed out what I wanted to write out, place it on to a cutting board, and covered it with parchment paper.




I put about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips into a zip top bag, and microwave until the chips have melted, about 45 seconds.  I like to squish the bag every 15 seconds, to make sure that the chips aren't burning.  Once they have melted, just cut the tiniest corner off of the bag, so you can write with the chocolate. 
                            




Trace over the letters , and once you are finished tracing, put this whole thing into the fridge to set up.  This is why I put it onto a solid surface, for ease of moving it around.  When the chocolate sets up, it will easily come off of the parchment paper, and you can place it onto the top of the cake when you're ready.  This trick can be used for anything, one year, I did this with a silhouette of a Christmas tree, and decorated a Christmas cake a few years ago, and it was beautiful.
So, pull your cake out of the freezer, and spread the Cool Whip over your frozen ice cream.  *To make the Cool Whip spreadable, I keep mine in the fridge.  This keeps it at the perfect "dollop-able" consistency, and is easy to spread. 

Spread this as evenly and smoothly as you can, but it doesn't have to be perfect.  Pop this back into the freezer, for another 3 hours or so, for the Cool Whip to set up.

Okay, so, your ice cream cake is ready for decorating!  Pull your wording out of the fridge, and you can easily take them off of the parchment paper with either a spatula or just your fingers.  You can arrange your wording on top of your cake how you see fit.  My daughter wanted to splash some sprinkles on top, and it did turn out nicely.  My husband loved this, my daughter loved helping make this, and we certainly will be doing this again!  You can easily make this to your tastes!  You don't like vanilla ice cream?  Use chocolate, or strawberry, or whatever flavor you want!  My husband just likes vanilla, so that's what we used.





No comments:

Post a Comment