Thursday, September 24, 2015

Paprika and Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Potatoes

Hello, everyone!  Happy Thursday!  Clearly, I love chicken, and I love potatoes, so when I can combine them into one easy dish, I'm a happy girl. So much of this easy supper can be prepped ahead of time, leaving only a 30 minute cook time!  I love quick, easy weeknight meals!  
A few years ago, my husband and I were roaming the spice aisle in one of our local grocery stores, and we spied a seasoning packet to sprinkle over chicken and potatoes, that you then bake.
We bought the spice packet, all excited, for about $3....once we got home, I actually looked at it, and it just had dried rosemary, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper.  Totally not worth $3, because I already had all of this in my spice cabinet!
However, I had never thought about putting them together on chicken and potatoes, then baking it in a dish!  I don't know why never put it together before then, but this seasoning on chicken and potatoes is really just perfect!

Here's your grocery list for this one:
3 waxy potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
2 tsp each: Kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme and dried rosemary
1/4 C vegetable oil

Seasonings for the chicken breasts:
2 tsp each: Kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme and dried rosemary
2-3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts

Nonstick spray

Yep, that's it.  It may not make sense right now, but as we go over this, it will make more sense as we go!  Okay, to start off with, cut your potatoes up into about 1" cubes, roughly.  Obviously, you don't have to break out a ruler with this, you just want your potatoes to be about the same size.


Put the potatoes into a medium sized pot (as you can see, this one has been very well loved throughout the years in my house!), and fill the pot with just enough water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch.  Bring the water up to a boil, and let the potatoes boil for 10 minutes before draining them.


Okay, so, while the potatoes are boiling, lets turn our attention to the chicken!  Sprinkle the 2 tsp spice mixture on top of the chicken; you can do this first thing in the morning, and let the flavors soak into the chicken (in the fridge, of course) all day long.  

Once you're ready to cook the chicken, pull it out of the fridge about 10-15 minutes before you put it into the oven, and preheat your oven to 425*.  Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with some nonstick spray, and turn your attention again to your now drained potatoes.

I like my potatoes to be dry before coating them in the oil and spice mixture, so I spread them out onto a clean kitchen towel, and gently pat them dry.  While the potatoes are on the towel, put all of the spices and vegetable oil into a mixing bowl, and mix well.


You guessed it, add the potatoes to the spice and oil, and gently fold the potatoes until they are all coated.  Be somewhat gentle, because the potatoes are somewhat cooked, and may want to fall apart.  If they start to, it's not a big deal, just keep an eye on it.

Alrighty, pour your potatoes into your baking dish, and move them around until the center is open, so you can lay your chicken in.

I poured some leftover spice and oil mix on top of my chicken, but if you don't want to do that, or don't have any leftover, no worries.  I just don't like to waste anything, so, I had some leftover, and over the chicken it went!  Bake this in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes; since the potatoes are parboiled, they get fluffy on the inside, and ever so crispy on the outside.  The chicken is bursting with flavor, and juicy...this is absolutely one of our favorite dishes in this house!
Also, learn from my mistake; if you start to get duped into buying a new spice mixture, read the label.  You probably already have most of it in your spice cabinet!





No comments:

Post a Comment