Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Honey Lime Tilapia

Good morning, everyone!  Happy Tuesday!  We probably don't eat fish as often as we should, but this is one of my favorite ways to prepare tilapia.  There aren't many ingredients, so these flavors really shine individually!  
As much as I love lemon flavor, I feel that lime is a very under used citrus (in my kitchen, anyway), and I'm not even sure why.  It works so beautifully with either sweet or savory dishes.  
Since I don't use limes as much as I would like, I like to have a pretty strong lime flavor with this fish.  I use the zest and juice of 3 limes with this; if you want a less strong flavor with your fish, feel free to use 2 limes, or just the zest of the 3 limes, or just the juice.  Like I've said before, one of the joys of cooking at home, is that you get to customize how you want things!
I like to serve this up with either some broccoli or brussel sprouts, and some rice pilaf; this supper really comes together pretty quickly, so lets get started!


Here's your grocery list for this one:
Zest and juice of 3 limes
2 Tbs good quality honey
2 Tbs paprika 
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs dried oregano 
3 Tbs olive oil
3-4 fillets of tilapia

1 C all purpose flour
3 Tbs butter

This is really pretty simple; in a gallon sized zip top bag, put in the first 7 ingredients, close the bag, and squeeze the bag until the ingredients are pretty well mixed; lay in the fish, gently move the bag around to make sure the fish is well coated, then pop into the fridge to rest for at least 5 hours, up to all day, if needed. 
 

 

 

In a heavy bottomed pan (my preference is cast iron, but use what you have), preheat over medium high heat, then toss in your butter.  While your pan is preheating, pat your fish dry, using paper towels, and dredge through the flour, shaking off the excess. 
 
Carefully lay your dredged fish into the hot pan, and fry about 4-5 minutes per side.  Mine got away from me a tiny bit (the honey can make it burn get extra brown a little quickly, so just keep an eye on it.  I actually prefer the darkened areas, but to each their own!) 
 
As these finish, I like to move them off to a plate, you can line the plate with a paper towel if you'd like, but these really aren't greasy, so I don't worry about it.  The lime and honey flavor in this really shines, and even though my husband doesn't like honey (who doesn't like honey??  ...says the girl who doesn't like onions...), he loves this fish.
Since this comes together so quickly, and is pretty healthy, this is in our "fish recipe" rotation, especially in the summer!
I like to serve mine with a squeeze of fresh lime over the top.....so yummy!






No comments:

Post a Comment