Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Chocolate avocado mousse

Hello, everyone!  I went to the store the other day, and on the rack where they keep produce that is coming up to its "sell by' date, they had two large avocados marked down to $1.  At first, I walked past them; I'm not a huge fan of avocados.  If they're on a sandwich, I can make my peace with them, but in general, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy them.  
However, after thinking about it as I was walking around the store (one of my favorite things to do is just wander up and down the aisles, checking out what's new, what's on sale, what's on clearance (one of my all time favorite words!!)), I decided to go back and grab them.
I'd heard of the several ways people sneak avocado into desserts; you can put them in brownies, cakes, and even....chocolate mousse.
So, I figured I'd scoop them up.  If I liked it, great!  If not, it was only a dollar, ya know?  How can I go wrong??

Here's your grocery list:
2 ripe avocados
1 C Nutella*
1/4 C honey
3 Tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

*The Nutella is optional, but without it, I could still taste the avocados.  If you don't mind the taste, go for it!
As you can see, that even though avocados are the main ingredient in this mousse, it's still not very healthy!  Although there isn't any whipped cream in it, so you are saving the calories there!

To start off with, cut your avocados in half, and remove the pit.  I like to "chop" my knife blade into the pit (carefully, of course), and twist the pit out.  It's that easy.  Of course, the more ripe your avocado is, the easier it will be to come out.  These were pretty ripe, so they probably could have fallen out on their own!







Once the pit is out, take a spoon, run it around the edge of your avocado, and scoop out the meat.  Put it into a food processor - you may want to chop it up a little bit, but I just put it directly into my food processor.  If/when I make this again, I would do a rough chop first; it would be a little bit less work for my processor to make a smooth paste, but this worked out just fine, too.







You really want this avocado to be pureed down very smoothly, because you don't want to bite into a chunk of avocado while you're digging into your chocolate mousse (or do you?  I didn't, but I'm not going to tell you how to live your life...).
Anyway, once you have the consistency you're happy with, add in your cocoa powder and vanilla, and puree until it is well incorporated.

Scrape down the sides (and don't forget the bottom of the bowl, too!), add in your Nutella and honey, and mix again.




At this point, you can dig in (as I did), or pop it into an air tight container, and put it in the fridge to set up!  It really is that easy, and delicious!  You don't taste the avocado, and the texture is smooth and silky!  Next time I find avocados on sale, I'm going to stock up!





No comments:

Post a Comment