Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Perfect-every-time Eye of Round Roast

Beef roasts can be an intimidating dish to make for a lot of people, because, really, how do you get it to be medium-rare in the center, while nicely browned on the outside, without the entire roast being tougher than shoe leather?  Have no fear, I have the perfect-every-time recipe for an amazing roast beef.  This is one of my favorites that I make for company, because the taste is amazing, and it really does come out looking impressive (if I do say so myself!)  Honestly, this is such an easy recipe to make, that after making it once or twice, you'll have it memorized.
Oh, my, do I love this recipe!  This beef is juicy, tender, and a perfect medium rare every time!  On top of it, I can usually find this roast on sale at the grocery store, and we all know how I feel about that!  On top of how easy it is to make this, there are only 3 ingredients.  Yep.  3.  Curious?  I thought so.  Let's do this!
Here's your (very short!) grocery list:
1 Eye of Round Roast, usually found between 2-4 pounds
2 Tbs Kosher salt
2 Tbs Garlic powder

That's it!  My mouth is watering looking at these pictures!  I know that sounds like a lot of salt, but, honestly, this is a thick cut of meat, and you want the flavor to go all the way through, so don't be afraid of it! 
The night before you're going to cook this, season your beef, all over, with the Kosher salt and garlic powder, and let it sit, uncovered, in the fridge over night.  Since you will be opening the packaging to do this, please don't forget to write down how much your roast weighs.  I have a dry erase board on my fridge, that I do my bi-weekly menu planning on, that I just jot the weight down on.  You'll see why in just a second.

In case you aren't sure where to find the weight listed on your packaging, here's a picture of mine.  You want the net weight, not the tare weight, so you can see that my roast weighed 2.67 pounds (and I cooked this awhile ago, well within the "sell by" date, so don't worry, I didn't cook bad meat!!).  Now then, when you want to season your meat, season all sides of it, even the ends!



Once your meat is seasoned, stick it back in the fridge, uncovered, overnight.  I know I said it before, but it really is important to do this the night before, or at least, the morning of cooking.  

The most challenging part of this recipe, is that it takes up the oven for about 2 1/2 hours.  So, almost 3 hours before you're ready to serve (I add in an extra 30 minutes, for oven preheating time), preheat your oven to 500*.  If your roast isn't already in the baking dish (I usually keep my roast in my baking dish, in the fridge after I season it), put it in whatever dish you want to roast it in, and put it directly into the preheated oven.  No browning, no liquid added to your dish, and no cover to the dish.
Once your roast is in the oven, reduce your heat to 475* and roast it at 7 minutes per pound, then turn the oven off, and let it sit in the oven for 2 hours and 30 minutes.  I cannot stress this enough: Do not open the oven during this time!!  The heat that is in the oven will finish cooking your roast, very gently, allowing the outside to not burn, while leaving the middle a lovely medium rare pink.  

Once the 2 1/2 hours are up, remove and slice your roast very thinly.  This is not going to be hot, but it will be warm/room temperature, so you don't have to worry about it resting.  It has been resting for the last 2 1/2 hours, after all! 











No comments:

Post a Comment