Thursday, November 12, 2015

Cedar Plank Salmon

Hello, everyone!  It's Thursday again, and with the weekend looming, I thought I would give us a healthy supper for today's post!  I do love salmon, so when I saw this beautiful piece of fish on the cedar plank, on sale, I knew I had to scoop it up!  
Salmon is a terrific fish that gets a bad rep, honestly.  Some people say that it's too fishy, but only when it's overcooked does it get fishy.  I like my salmon cooked to a perfect medium-rare, so it's never fishy when cooked properly!  If your salmon is tasting too fishy, it's just overcooked.  Nothing you can do about it at that point, but just know to cook it less next time.  
Here's your grocery list for this one:
1 fillet of salmon
1 cedar plank board
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 to 1/2 Tbs butter, optional

So, this piece of salmon came with the cedar plank board, but if you buy yours separately, please be sure to make sure yours is food grade!!  You don't want to buy your cedar plank at the hardware store - those have been treated with chemicals that you don't want to cook with/eat something that has been cooked on it! 
Before cooking on your cedar plank, you'll need to soak it in some water, so that the board doesn't burn; let this soak in enough water to cover the board for at least 1 hour.  I let mine soak all afternoon, and had no problems.  To keep it submerged, I just placed a bottle of corn syrup on top.
 




So, take the filet and sprinkle the salt, pepper and garlic powder over the fish.  Preheat your oven to 400, so that the seasons have about 30 minutes to flavor the fish while the oven is heating.  You can cut your filet up into your prefered serving size, if you want.  This piece was cut a little oddly, so I just cut it into two pieces.   
 
This made putting it back on my cedar plank a little bit difficult, but I squeezed 'em on there!  But, it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be on the plank.  Once your oven has preheated, slide the plank in directly onto the shelf, and let it bake for 30-35 minutes.   


Once you pull the salmon out of the oven, I like to top it with about 1/2 of a Tbs of butter, but that's optional.  I like to serve this with some steamed brussel sprouts, and a lovely rice pilaf, but putting it over a salad is lovely as well.  There really is no wrong way to go here! 




No comments:

Post a Comment