Thursday, August 13, 2015

Semolina Spaghetti

Hello, everyone!  I have been on a bit of a semolina flour kick lately, and I'm not even going to apologize for it.  I have been dying, for years, to get my hands on some, and unless I order it online, I have not been able to find it in stores.
Until now.  There is a store that I have come across, that sells dried goods (almost like a general store), and they have so many goodies!  I have to walk in with blinders on and zero in on exactly what I came in for, or else I would just go nuts and buy all of the goods!
I love homemade fresh pasta, and I usually make it once every week or two in our house.  It's so easy to make, and just so good (and, it's one of the few things my daughter will gobble up that isn't bologna or a pb&j....I keep telling myself one day she'll actually want to eat the things I cook, but we're not quite there yet).
The semolina pasta is definitely different than the pasta I make with straight flour, it has a firmer texture that my husband really enjoyed.  This pasta I cooked for about 5-7 minutes, vs. the 2-4 minutes of my usual fresh pasta, and there was an al dente bite still to it, so I think the cooking time was spot on.
                                         
Here's your grocery list for this one:
2 eggs
1 Tbs water
1 Tbs olive oil
3 1/3 semolina flour
1/4 tsp Kosher salt

Spaghetti/pasta sauce of your choice
(here's my favorite spaghetti sauce)

It always amazes me that how many different things you can get with just flour, eggs, salt and water.  It's crazy.  This recipe makes enough for three really good sized servings, but it doubles and triples beautifully, so feel free to multiply it to suite your needs.  Anyway, this comes together really easily, so lets get started!  
To start off with, put your eggs, water, oil and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer, and mix them until the eggs are pretty beat up.



With your mixer running on low, and fitted with the paddle attachment, add in the semolina flour, until it has all been mixed in and you have a slightly tacky dough.  Form it into a ball, and let it rest for about 20 minutes, lightly covered with a kitchen towel.





Once your dough has rested, quarter it, and run it through your pasta rollers.  


Once my dough has been rolled out, I like to run it through the spaghetti cutter, and then kind of wrap the noodles up on themselves (mostly, because if I didn't, my daughter would grab a handful and go running through the house trying to eat them.  Normally I wouldn't care, but....this has raw eggs in it, so, that's a no go).  Anyway, once you're ready to cook them, do so in salted boiling water, for 5-7 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.

I like to add my pasta to my sauce, really mix it up well in the pot, then dish it up on a plate.  That way your sauce and pasta are already well incorporated with each other, and you're not making a massive mess trying to mix it all together on your plate (or bowl, whichever).  Enjoy your pasta, my friend!  Mangia!  Mangia!


No comments:

Post a Comment