Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Cucumber feta cheese bites

Hello, everyone!  Happy Tuesday!  We're back from our amazing vacation to Alaska, and I'm trying, slowly, to get back into the swing of things.  
So I figured I'd start back with a really lovely little snack/side dish, that, as a bonus, doesn't require any heat (with the summer approaching/already here, anything that I don't need to turn on the stove with is appreciated).  
It has a cucumber, so I'm calling it healthy, even though it is almost 50/50% cucumber/feta cheese!  
This really is very easy; I made this up within a few minutes, and ate it for lunch today (Monday).  After I pick my daughter up from preschool, come home and get her down for a nap, it is normally around 2 PM, so I am always trying to get a really quick lunch together, and this definitely qualified.  Cucumber is so light and refreshing that I love using it in quick snacks like this.  
Here's your grocery list for this one:
1 hot house cucumber (it is also sometimes called an English cucumber)
2 oz. Feta cheese
1 Tsb fresh parsley
1 tsp dried dill weed
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon

I love using hot house cucumbers for things like this.  They are so much more crunchy than a traditional cucumber, and you can eat the skin.  You can eat the skin on a traditional cucumber, but it is a lot thicker than the thin skin of a hot house cucumber.  
As I have mentioned a couple of times, this comes together very quickly, so this is going to be a quick post today!
In a small mixing bowl (or just a regular soup/cereal bowl), place your parsley, dried dill, lemon juice and feta cheese, and mix well.  

If your feta cheese has large chunks in it, go on and break them up.  I just used a spoon and smashed the cheese up for a minute; I wasn't too worried about it.  I just wanted small chunks of feta cheese, so that it would stay in the cucumber boats a little bit better.





Now then, for the most difficult part of the whole ordeal.  Take your cucumber, and slice off just the smallest amount from the bottom, so that it will sit steady on the bottom.  This makes it safer to slice it up later, since it won't be rocking all over the place, and it makes the boats steady and not just rock over.

Once the bottom has been sliced, cut off about 1/3 off of the top, to expose the seeded middle.  I didn't do a beautiful job of slicing the top, since it was a pretty curved cucumber, but I wasn't worried, this was going to be sliced into pieces later, so it didn't have to be perfect.  Once your cucumber is cut like this, with a spoon, dig out the center.  Again, it doesn't have to be beautiful, just do the best you can.  The more you can scoop out, the more filling you can scoop in!  Yum!

Once all the seeded middle has been scooped out, load it up with the feta cheese mixture!  
After your cucumber has been filled, just slice little half moons off at 1/2" to 1" slices.  These would be adorable for a party, a spring holiday table, a snack, or as a side dish.







No comments:

Post a Comment